Friday 27 February 2015

Mystery Medieval Ship

One of the interesting extras which came with a rather fantastic bargain lot of Lamming Medieval figures from ebay was this small metal ship.

The hull length is around 4cm.

Bill Lamming did do Medieval cogs for use with his Medieval Campaign Rules but my recollection from seeing them on his stand at shows (I never had any) was that thy were really tiny. There is what looks to be a manufacturer's mark on the bottom of the hull, but I haven't been able to make it out.

So if anyine recognises the model or can thriow any light on it, I'd be pleased to here from you.

The model is a bit nicer than it appears from the photos, but it is very rough.

Pictures here -

Two pictures of the ship



The marks on the hull

7 comments:

johnpreece said...

I don't know what it is but like you I remember Lamming cogs as much smaller.

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Looks like the merchant ship from the range of Greek and Roman galleys that I had in the 70s made by....damn, will have to see if I can find a clue in the archives.

Vintage Wargaming said...

Thanks John and Ross. Davco? Ancients makes sense - I was thinking medieval because of the figures it came with

Brian Carrick said...

I had some ships and galleys like this back in the early 70's made by Miniature Figurines.
Best wishes, Brian

Vintage Wargaming said...

Thanks Brian, that makes sense and the marks seem to include an M. I had the same thought and looked in one of my old catalogues without finding them, I have a couple more I could dig out and check

Vintage Wargaming said...

I've now find an old Minifigs catalogue still with some "HO/OO" range figures (ie Minifigs 20mm/Alberken) and the first S Range coming through, it lists four ancient galleys, of which B 4 is a transport - I think this will be it.

Brian Carrick said...

I had long since forgotten these ships but your picture brought it right back to me how disappointed I was with the crude and clumpy castings when they first arrived in the post, the mainsail invariable broke off and was impossible to repair unless you had a soldering iron.